Tuesday, July 19, 2016

And now it begins...

Been quiet lately - actually have been just standing back and watching the garden chugging along.  One of the nicer parts of this sometimes labor intensive hobby is that time after everything is in and mulched and growing but before the avalanche of product starts requiring you to actually DO something with it!

I'd already gotten quite a lot of lettuce and assorted greens out of the brown box but lately the other leafy stuff has started to really produce.

We've had three meals of beet greens - and now there are little beets included - as well as several servings of Swiss Chard.

Swiss Chard


Beet greens with little baby beets


Look past the dirt (hey, it's what it takes to make plants grow) and just enjoy the view.  It's food, guys, and I made it myself.  Well, with the help of the aforementioned dirt, the sun and some water, but I grew it.  And there is no satisfaction like it in the world - knowing that whatever comes along I have a skill that is useful and produces yummy stuff!

I find it interesting (and amusing) that when I put pictures of greens on Facebook mostly I get "yuck" faces as comments.  What makes it interesting is that I'm betting most of the yucks come from people who have never even tasted what is triggering their yucks.

It's totally awesome to go to the garden and find out what is for supper!

Beating the same old drum here but I know what is on my food (and what is not!) and it doesn't get much fresher than garden to table the same day.

So far this has been a banner year for the garden and if half of the blossoms on the tomatoes and the cucumbers come to fruition I will be set for relishes and salsas for the whole winter.  All that and fresh vegetables at every turn.  Doesn't get much better than that.

Stay tuned and perhaps stay inspired to try the game yourself!




No comments:

Post a Comment