Sunday, April 3, 2016

A little out of sequence maybe...

After my last post I was all primed to start talking (I really hate the term "blogging" - sounds like indigestion or the dog about to throw up) more about container planting.  And in a way I suppose these are containers.

So here goes - once upon a time when I wasn't thinking things through (like half my life) I made two big garden beds on the side of the yard where it used to be all garden when the kids were young.  These two raised beds were about 8 x 12 feet with the predicable result that I couldn't reach the middle of either of them to cultivate or harvest without standing in the bed which compacted the soil - undesirable to say the least.  I mentioned this situation in passing in my first container gardening post.

My project this past winter (that I finally got to) was to make replacement frames to turn that big garden into two smaller ones and also move them a bit further onto the lawn to get away from the encroaching evergreen tree.  I use rough lumber from Home Depot for my frames - it won't last forever but it doesn't cost a fortune either.  So when the crocus and snowdrops started blooming a few days ago I realized that if I was going to get these frames in place and filled I'd best get on the stick.

I've made them before and every time I learn something new.  This time it was to make sure I square off the ends of the planks before I start putting them together - I know - sounds pretty elementary but I'm no carpenter!  I did have some more advanced tools to work with.  A cordless drill - heaven! -  and a little chuck attachment that has a drill on one end and a screw driver on the other and you can just reverse it in and out of the drill chuck - like a quick disconnect - without having to go through the entire process of taking the drill out of the bit, replacing it with the driver and so forth and so on.  Made the whole project a lot easier.  My thanks to both of my sons for providing the new tools. Not to mention that this time I had a matching pair of saw horses. Last time I was using the washing machine for the second saw horse and that had some obvious drawbacks.



The plan was to make the frames in the cellar and then take them outside on a good day, prepare the spot for them and THEN put the stakes on that hold them in place.  There is something about dealing with sharp pointy things on an 8 x 2 foot unwieldy semi-flexible object that I try to avoid until it's pretty much a one shot deal.  Must less chance of impalement!

I've started using interior metal corner braces to hold the frames together in the hopes that they will work better than just screwing the corners using wood blocks on the interior.  For certain the metal will last and I hope the attachment will also.  I drill a pilot hole first and then just screw in the screws that come with the brackets.  Another thing I learned was to keep the brackets in reach of the clamp in the above picture so that I don't need 4 hands to put the last pieces together.  First time around was a real balancing act.



Once the frames are put together the next part of the process was pretty cut and dried - figure out where you want to set the bed (put the ugliest end towards the tree) and then dig a trench in the big bed for the end and the side of the new frame.  Since I was putting the new frame along an existing side of the old bed I only needed to dig two trenches.  Then put the frame in place and do some measuring to make sure it's parallel to the one next to it.  This usually means putting the frame in place several times and measuring and moving more dirt to get it in the right spot.   Then it's off to the porch to put the stakes in place.  I use 2 foot grade stakes that I get from Home Depot.


These beds were longer than I usually make so I used two stakes on each of the long sides and one on each end.  And it may sound elementary but make sure the stakes are all pointing in the same direction - don't ask me how I know to check!



Once it's in place balanced on the stakes (I wish I had a picture of that stage of the game) it's a matter of measuring again to make sure it's parallel (yeah, I'm anal) and then pounding the stakes in.  I'd suggest a mallet rather than a hammer to do the pounding cause the hammer would damage the frame wood.  Unless you have something to use to drive against the tops of the stakes you have to pound on the frame.  Getting it down to ground level and settled in usually means more digging along the sides.  I use a long level to get it level side to side and length-wise also.  I know it's not a piano I'm making here so half a bubble off is ok but if I had to look at something that was obviously not level or parallel it would make me crazy(ier).

You can see that the old bed doesn't come out as far as the new one so I did have to dig out some of the sod at the near end of the new beds.  I used dirt from the old bed to fill the new one at least partially (I will want to add some compost before I plant) and then it was a matter of putting in the second frame.




And there I am - with space to walk between the beds and the ability to reach everything in them without walking in them.  The extra dirt in back (gotta find a home for those chives that are already up) I will either use to fill up other beds or stockpile somewhere until I do need it.  I still need to rake out and seed in between the beds but the main work is done just in time for the snow today!

Although this is off track from true container gardening I thought if any of you are ready to jump ahead to raised beds this might give some food for thought.  In some ways what I did here was easier than starting from scratch and having to remove all the sod but you probably get the idea.

If I am fortunate and the woodchuck has mercy I will be able to post picture of all the wonderful vegetables I can get from these relatively small beds.  And by the end of the summer the wood will blend in just as well as the ones next to them do after just one winter!

Since comments are now allowed on the blog posts if any of the above raises questions I might be able to answer, feel free to ask them as a comment!

Next installment I will try to get back to pots and containers as promised (or threatened, depends on your perspective).


2 comments:

  1. I've been wondering how you made and installed them. I don't know why, but perhaps it's something I've always wanted to do. You do have a great deck you could edge with awesome containers and plants. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have beds around the deck but not any longer They got taken out when the porch was rebuilt...

    ReplyDelete