Friday, April 15, 2016

Vanishing skills


Says it so well!





The above is almost self explanatory but just in case you don't think so allow me to elaborate.  It seems to me there are a ton of fundamental skills that are disappearing in our modern world.  They still exist in some areas - mostly rural and/or poor - but mainstream culture appears to think that items like pickles spring full blown already in jars out of some alternate dimension.  Probably the same place that jam, relish, salsa and packaged chicken come from.

I had some younger friends who came to "class" a few years ago and learned to make jam and pickles and perhaps even garden a little.  Personally I think they were afraid that I would pass on to whatever reward awaits me taking the mystery recipe for strawberry jam and bread and butter pickles into oblivion with me.  Perhaps I do them an injustice and they just thirst for knowledge but for whatever reason they were excited to see how easy it is to preserve your own food.  

So being proactive they hedged their future Christmas gifts by learning to do it themselves.  And to tell the truth, other than having utensils that have been around for 50 years (and look it), I have no special kitchen secret squirrel items that I use to make all these things.

Everything from canning and preserving to drying (did I mention my jerky recipe?) - all can be easily done with a minimum of equipment in a regular kitchen.  As far as drying goes you don't even have to have a dehydrator although it's easier to control than using your oven or just hanging things up and hoping for dry weather.

This post is only meant to get you thinking about what you might want to tackle this summer and fall.  At least you would have a clue what went into the food you are eating and would also have the pride of knowing you got it done!







:


2 comments:

  1. Sigh. I am so grateful I grew up knowing how to do so many things and how to skimp and make the pennies stretch. Now I'm in this place with no room to store things and no land for a garden. I am so sad.

    ReplyDelete